Thursday 7 June 2012

Shortlist Success...

...is mine!  My poem 'Arson' was shortlisted (alongside 9 others) in Writing Magazine's 'Hot First Line' competition.

Woop woop!

Okay, so it didn't win.  It didn't take first place (or even second...boo!).  But it was considered; it was one of a select few.  One of the best.

And that's good enough for me.

This competition required a specific first line to be used, and this made me re-define, edit and re-write my already-existing poem called 'Arson'.  This process made the poem more centred, immediate and raw - all of which would've been missed if I hadn't taken the risk and entered the competition.

And the risk has paid off - twice.  Not only is the poem sleeker, but it's also been shortlisted...and that's the first time it's ever happened to me.

This recognition instantly inspired me to have a go at the magazine's next poetry competition, a haiku.  Now all I've got to do, of course, is come up with something good...!

So, however slight it may be in the grand scheme of getting published, I am going to embrace and enjoy my Shortlist Success, and you're welcome to join me...

...woop woop!

1 comment:

  1. Whoop whoop! Well done, finally some recognition for your amazing talent! That's my girl, onwards and upwards. Keep writing, in true strictly fashion. Zo xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by the Pen Pot and leaving a comment - it's appreciated.